unique, ad-free, freemium downloads

4 November 2017

Histats Free Counter Service : Fraud & Spyware


In the era of internet, we don't make allegations without any concrete evidence; Ever-since I started as a blogger, as a newbie, I've heavily relied on free services. One of those free services was a free counter service, Histats, I really loved the service as it provided a great number of useful analytic services free-of-cost, the quality of those services was better than the paid ones; long story cut short I really loved the service and had been using their counter codes until now.


Everything was fine until I decided to increase my page's speed and PageSpeed / YSlow ranks; at that time I found a plenty of ad-companies sending my visitor data to their servers, I was at first stunned as I had not been using any sort of advertisements on my blog. I decided to dig deeper into it and analyzed the whole code. And guess, who was found the culprit? Yeah; you guessed it right : Histats. From this, I recalled their slogan : "No Spyware


But, their act is completely justified, apart from using the buysellads' high payout rate; they needed to sell privacy of visitors of their users' website for the sake of revenue.


Need verification? Follow these steps:


  • Make a new free blog on the blogger.
  • Generate a counter code from Histats and paste it anywhere on your website.
  • Let the fun begin.
  • Try either of the following:
    1. Goto GTMetrix - a very good speed checking site and anaylze the bad requests section.
    2. Open your blog in your browser and open Inspect Element, the navigate to Network section. There analyze .gifs and ad scripts.
  • You'll find ad scripts from different sites including doublicks, ib.adnxs.com, eyeota.com, infiniteads and many others.
  • Now remove the code; and repeate above steps again. Note the difference?

The ad URLs and .gif's would no longer show up in GTMetrix and the browser reports. Thank me later.


You can use piwiki as an alternative to Histats

No comments:

Post a Comment